At Terraware we use a variety of different fabrics, predominately natural fibers. However we do carry polyblends for the cliental that has requested it, or if the fabrics are just to irresistible to pass up.
What are the main fabrics can you find at Terraware?
Linen: This fabric is typically used for the spring/summer collections.
- Natural fibre made from the stalk of a flax plant
- Regarded in Europe as the best quality fabric
- Known for its high strength and durability
- It can be worn in hot and humid temperatures because its highly absorbent and allows the skin to breathe
- Linen is also considered ideal for people with sensitive skin
Lyocell: This fabric is generally used for every season.
- Made from the natural cellulose found in wood pulp
- Fully biodegradable
- This fabric is economical in its use of energy and natural resources
- Controls and absorbs up to 50% more moisture than cotton therefore it is antibacterial and has natural breathability
- Fairly resistant to wrinkles
Wool: This fabric is typically used for our fall/ winter collections.
- Wool is a breathable fibre that provides instant warmth
- Great buffer against rain, wind and snow
- Removes moisture from the skin whilst at the same time its insulating qualities trap dry air and warmth
- Renewable resource as it is saved off the sheep and grows back quickly
- 100% biodegradable in soil
- Resistant to wrinkles
- Wool is hypoallergenic- resistant to bacteria, mould and mildew that can trigger reactions in many people
Viscose: This fabric can be used for all seasons.
- Is a cellulose fibre made from a renewable resource-wood
- Has the ability to absorb water which provides a skin friendly, breathable fabric
- Very durable and long lasting
- Viscose is often blended with other fabrics
Modal: This fabric is mainly used for our fall/winter collections but can be blended with other fabrics to make it suitable for spring and summer.
- Modal is a processed bio-based textile made from reconstituted cellulose from the beech tree
- Fabric is very soft and in many ways acts like cotton, but has significant advantages over that fibre
- 100% biodegradable
- Breathes well, and it is cool to the touch and very absorbent
- Shrink resistant
- Less likely to face or form pills
- stays soft through repeated washes
Dupioni Silk: This fabric is used primarily for our formal wear.
- Silk is created with the thread from two different silk worms
- The thread is rougher than regular silk and contains bumps and irregularities called "slubs"
- The fabric is also totally reversible so it is acceptable for both sides of the material to be visible
- The natural dyes show very vibrant colours
- Fairly resistant to wrinkles
- Keeps the body cool
- Great for hiding unwanted bumps
Cupro: This fabric can be used for all seasons, predominately spring and summer.
- Breathable material which helps regulate body temperatures when worn
- Cupro is made from the silky fibres that stick to cotton seeds during the textile production process
- Durable fabric and is in the same family as lyocell and modal
- Hypoallergenic anti-static and stretch resistant